2. Kinds of Personal Information Collected
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for us to meet your expectations as a supporter. We also collect “cookies” and digital data to track visits to our Website and enhance your use of the Website and social media. You can usually disable cookies in your internet browser settings.
The type of personal information we may collect from you includes your contact information such as full name, email address, current postal address and phone numbers, payment card details, date of birth and information about any organisation you are representing.
Care is taken to ensure the security of your payment card details as required under the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
When providing your personal information to us, some information may be identified as mandatory or voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data, we may not be able to effectively provide our services to you (such as issue a tax receipt for donations).
3. Collection of Your Personal Information
In most cases we will collect personal information directly from you. This may take place when you provide us with your personal information through the Website, social media, in person, over the telephone or by completing documents such as an administrative form.
In operating the Website, War Child may collect:
- Information that does not personally identify you but tracks your use of the Website, to learn about your preferences, so that we can make our Website better; and/ or
- Information that does personally identify you (including details such as name, email address, home address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, age, occupation, profile image, name of employer) but only when you voluntarily give it to us.
The collection of this personal information is required to enable us to provide the services to you and to ensure the highest quality of service provision. Individuals do not have to supply War Child with their personal information, however, if the individual chooses not to do so War Child may be unable to provide the services required or sought.
4. Storage and Security of Your Personal Information
From time to time we may hold personal information in any combination of data storage facilities, including cloud computing facilities (such as Drop Box or Google Drive) or paper based files which may be operated or held by us or by third party service providers under a contractual arrangement. We will use all reasonable endeavours to maintain the security of your personal information from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure. We cannot ensure or warrant that your personal information will always be secure during transmission or protected from unauthorised access during storage, therefore you provide your personal information to us at your own risk. Please contact us immediately if you become aware or have reason to believe there has been any unauthorised use of your personal information in connection with the Website.
5. Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
You hereby consent to War Child:
- Making your personal information publically available by displaying it on its social media pages when you post on those pages;
- Contacting you to discuss your support of War Child;
- Collecting, moderating and sharing comments and feedback provided by a user and making them publically available by publishing or displaying them on the Website and or social media page;
- Using your personal information for direct marketing purposes to contact you about upcoming fundraising activities and events;
- Using your personal information to perform administrative functions and activities in relation to our services;
- Using your personal information to improve our services or Website which may involve performing analytics on information that we collect automatically;
- Disclosing the personal information it collects to third parties we engage to perform functions or provide products and services on our behalf such as processing credit card information, mail outs, event management, marketing, research and advertising;
- Using your personal information to respond to enquiries you make regarding the services or Website; and
- Using your personal information to comply with any applicable laws.
If you decide that you do not wish to receive information from us please contact us with your request to be removed from our supporter database and mailing list. We will remove your name within a reasonable period of receipt of notice.
Where practicable we will endeavour to collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purposes described above on a de-identified basis.
6. Purpose of Collecting Your Personal Information
The purpose of collecting your personal information is to meet your expectations as a supporter, such as to manage the War Child supporter database, issue tax receipts and to keep you informed about our activities and fundraising projects.
7. Access, Amendment and Deletion of Your Personal Information
We will use all reasonable endeavours to keep your personal information accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading. Please contact us to examine your personal information if required and we will provide a complete list of your personal information within a reasonable period of receipt of your request. You may contact us to amend any of your personal information that is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date or request that your personal information be deleted. We will amend or delete your records as requested within a reasonable period of receipt of notice. If applicable, any legal requirement on us to maintain certain records of your personal information shall prevail over any of your requests. War Child may require identification to be provided before releasing copies of personal information.
If you use a Link to access a third party website, you do so entirely at your own risk. You should always read the applicable privacy policies on the other websites.
10. Mandatory Data Breach Notifications
From February 2018, pursuant to the Privacy Act 1988, we will be required to notify you and the Information Commissioner if we suspect that a data breach (relating to your personal information) has occurred and there is real risk of serious harm to you as a result of the breach.
11. Applicable Law
12. Contact us
You may contact us in relation to your personal information via our Contact Us form, click here.
13. Making a Complaint
If you have any concerns about how we manage your personal information, you may write to our Privacy Officer via our Contact Us form, click here or you may write to: Nina Morgan, War Child Australia, PO Box Q632, QVB NSW 1230. We will make reasonable endeavours to provide a response within 30 days of receipt of your complaint.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) by writing to the OAIC at GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001. For further information about the OAIC, please visit www.oaic.gov.au.
Last Updated: September 2017
War Child Australia
PO Box 282, Waverley NSW 2024
ABN: 31 743 327 860